Praised by New York Concert Review Inc. for their “not-surprising familial blend and synchronization”, the one and only a cappella group of 18-year-old quadruplets, Vintage Mix, has been wowing audiences with their world class and tight, four-part harmony since 2014.
Their inspiration first originated from watching the classic 1960’s musical film The Sound of Music at the early age of 11. This movie inspired them to participate in a school talent show in 4th & 5th grade where they closed the evening - both years (2008 & 2009) - by singing their unison renditions of So Long, Farewell and The Hills Are Alive.
Following those performances, they took a small two-year break until working with a vocal coach in Nashville (2014) to get a sense of stage presence and harmony. Around that time, VM began putting songs together by selecting pieces that inspired them, including ‘Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah’ and 'Let’s Get Away From It All’, and added “harmony by ear”. They were exposed to this timeless, musical era by their parents who played ‘40s on 4’ - a Sirius XM radio station - throughout their home during childhood. Each song included a musical format of Kelsey and Julia singing the melody together, Ian singing a harmony underneath the melody, and Anika singing a harmony above the melody. [musical arrangement was showcased in their National Anthem (from 2014)]
As natives of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where they were born in 2001, Vintage Mix debuted at the young age of 13 on June 30, 2014, at a small church in the local area. At that performance, they showcased their very limited amount of "harmony by ear" 1940’s songs, which were inspired by major influencers like The Andrew Sisters and Frank Sinatra.
Nevertheless, they eventually advanced to four-part harmony - on sheet music - in 8th grade (2015) at the age of 14 while competing in their local Solo Ensemble Competition (WSMA) with two Class A - high level - pieces: ‘On the Sunny Side of the Street’ (Barbershop arrangement) and ‘Prayer of the Children’ (Classical composition). In the latter years of performing, they naturally fell into vocal ranges with Julia singing the highest notes, Anika singing the middle notes, Kelsey singing middle to lower notes, and Ian singing the lowest notes in their arrangements/songs.
In the summer of 2015, VM debuted in the Barbershop Harmony Society by singing on the Saturday Night Spectacular show while sharing the stage with Saturday Evening Post (SEP). Both quartets entertained the 8,000 person audience with the songs ‘What’s The Matter With Kids Today’ - from Bye Bye Birdie - and ‘Inchworm’. Vintage Mix and Saturday Evening Post came back together in January of 2016 at the Barbershop Midwinter Convention in Reno, Nevada to reprise their act from the previous summer.
In addition to their past tours, they have made special appearances across the United States to include: the A Cappella Music Awards, Lambeau Field, the USS Milwaukee, WoodSongs Old-Time Radio Hour, Royal Caribbean's Harmony of the Seas, the Grand Ole Opry, Fox & Friends, CBS Sunday Morning, and Carnegie Hall in New York.
Vintage Mix has maintained popularity through their God-given talent, personality, and desire to "Bridge Generations Through Harmony".
Awards & Achievements:
- Deke Sharon's Facebook LIVE video of Vintage Mix singing 'You Make Me Feel So Young' to VoicePlay has exceeded 4 million views (Camp A Cappella 2016).
- Performed on 54 Barbershop Music Concerts across North America since 2015
- VM won 2nd place silver medals at the 2018 International Mixed Barbershop Quartet Competition held in Munich, Germany (April 2018) where they were the youngest vocal group competing at age 17.
- Performed the 1940's standard 'Connecticut' and taught the 'Rhapsody in Blue' Barbershop tag to a sold-out audience at Carnegie Hall (March 24, 2019)
- Performed at The Riverside Theater (Milwaukee) and Carnegie Hall (New York) with DCappella [Disney A Cappella Group]
- Featured on the PBS Special 'Woodsongs Old-Time Radio Hour' based out of Lexington, Kentucky, alongside Ringmasters Quartet, Time Bandits Quartet, and the Wildcat Harmonizers .
- Performed at the legendary Grand Ole Opry on two different featured shows in 2015 & 2019
- Participated in a CBS Sunday Morning Interview ‘Barbershop: A Harmonious Passion’ (2017) in Las Vegas with many other Barbershop groups to promote the art form and genre
- Performed 1940's standards at the official Milwaukee event which launched the ‘Commissioning of the USS Milwaukee’
- VM sang the National Anthem at the NFL Packer’s Family Game Night at Lambeau Field in August of 2017
- A Cappella Music Awards ‘Quartet of the Year’ Nominee
- Performed on the national morning news show Fox & Friends, based out of New York, to promote Barbershop on National Barbershop Quartet Day (April 11, 2017)
- 2016 & 2017 Wisconsin High School Barbershop Quartet Champions
- 2018 Land O' Lakes Mixed Barbershop Quartet Champions
Vintage Mix became an official business as Vintage Mix, LLC on January 12, 2016. Within the time of developing as a business entity in the music industry, Ian, Kelsey, Anika, and Julia were titled business owners at the age of 14 and currently engage in various roles within the company. Kelsey [Chief Executive Officer] is best known for her natural leadership and communication skills both face-to-face and online with performance inquiries/requests. Ian holds the title as Senior Vice President of Music and Contracting by reviewing commitments and copyright certification for the group. Julia [Vice President of Marketing] particularly focuses on developing the overall brand and merchandise for the music group with her knowledge of media and social platforms. Lastly, Anika [Vice President/CFO] manages financial responsibilities including profit & loss, revenue and all applicable tax reporting. In essence, Vintage Mix functions as a premier a cappella group and business with the hope of “Bridging Generations Through Harmony” and blessing people through their music.
"Vintage Mix sings close harmony so well, at such a young age, they force the world to realize that young singers are capable of creating mind blowingly great music!"
- Deke Sharon, American singer, arranger, composer, director, producer and teacher of a cappella music and the Music Producer for Pitch Perfect 1 and 2
"Vintage Mix is the best quartet that I’ve heard in my 17 years as a sound engineer on Fox & Friends.”
- Toba Potosky, Sound Engineer, Fox & Friends, New York
"Working with the Vintage Mix singers for 2 amazing years early in their formation was one of the greatest joys of my life. Their unique sound comes, I believe, from their biology as quadruplets. They are attuned to one another, both vocally and mentally, such that they are constantly adjusting their performance to lift each sibling in the group. Not only is their singing sublime, they are charming, genuine people who radiate kindness. My life is better for the hours I spent with them singing, learning and laughing."
- Greg Ruffer, CEO - Boston Center for the Arts
"Since Vintage Mix participated in our International Convention in Pittsburgh 2015, these four young adults (yes quadruplets) have been entertaining our barbershop audiences all across the country with their joy of barbershop harmony and beautiful music. They are an inspiration to all generations who love to sing and for those interested in singing for the first time”.
- Marty Monson, CEO - Barbershop Harmony Society
"The great thing about Vintage Mix is their ability to appeal to every age group in the room. When these young adults perform, there is something for everyone”.
-Shawn York, Tenor - 2008 International Champion Quartet “OC Times", Owner/CEO Chick-fil-A in Corona, California
"Vintage Mix makes our oldest veterans feel so comfortable and joyful...their music is like a glimpse back at wonderful days gone by. An Honor Flight day is even more magical for our veterans when they hear the beautiful harmonies of this amazing group of teenagers."
- Stars and Stripes Honor Flight, honors all veterans by flying WWII, Korean War and terminally ill veterans from other conflicts to Washington, DC to visit their memorials
"Vintage Mix makes a real difference in real people's lives. I am on the Board of Directors for Stars and Stripes Honor Flight. We fly WWII and Korean War veterans to Washington DC to see their Memorials. The talented singers of Vintage Mix routinely come to the airport to welcome and celebrate our veterans. Their interactions with our brave heroes is inspiring. When we show up at the airport to begin a long day of service and here the silky sounds of Vintage Mix echoing through the airport terminal we know that it is going to be a great day. The veterans routinely tell us that hearing Vintage Mix is one of the highlights of their entire day. The sweet and genuine sounds of Vintage Mix take America's heroes back to days that were optimistic and full of sunshine.The only things fuller than the sounds of Vintage Mix are the hearts of Ian, Kelsey, Anika, and Julia."
- John Mercure, Host - Wisconsin's Afternoon News, 620 WTMJ
Origin: Wisconsin, United States
Moonlight in Vermont (Single; 2016)
White Christmas (Single; 2016)
You Make Me Feel so Young (Single; 2016)
Timeless (EP; 2018)
When You Wish Upon a Star (Live from BinG! 2018) (Single; 2019)
Avengers Theme Song (Single; 2019)